Hoodlums kill five, damage vehicles in Lagos

Forum 9 years ago

Hoodlums kill five, damage vehicles in Lagos

Residents of Daodu Lane, Opeoluwa, Somore, Jones, Atitebi and Brickfield streets in the Ebute Meta area of Lagos have lost their peace after no fewer than five people were killed in a cult clash on Tuesday.

About 12 vehicles parked on the road were also vandalised by hoodlums who unleashed terror on the community.

It was learnt that four of the dead victims were suspected cult members who were hacked to death, while the fifth victim, identified only as Rafiu, a tailor and resident of Daodu Lane, was hit by a stray bullet.

One of the deceased cultists was identified simply as Obokun.

A source said, “The fight was between Ilogbo boys, led by a man we know as Skippo, and Otto boys. The Ilogbo boys had the support of some hoodlums from Ebute Meta East.

“On Tuesday, the Otto boys attacked the Ilogbo gang and killed about four of them.

“Policemen from Federal SARS came and unfortunately, a tailor was mistakenly gunned down in the exchange of gunfire.”

However, another resident, who pleaded anonymity, explained that the Ilogbo boys came on a reprisal in the evening and killed five among the Otto boys.

“People that were killed yesterday cannot be less than 10. As you can see, the whole area is tensed. It was gun battle throughout yesterday and we all had to run,” he added.

A shopkeeper, who did not identify himself, said the hoodlums also used the opportunity to loot shops.

He said, “The cultists I saw were about 25 in number. I don’t know the faction, but they were led by a heavily-built man. Three men in the gang held guns while the others had other weapons.

“They entered my shop and packed jeans and shoes. They also took all the money they saw.”

Our correspondents, who visited the area on Wednesday, observed that many street gates were shut and shops were locked up.

Many residents said they had to leave the area to sleep in other communities because of the continuous gunshots.

Our correspondents observed three residents ? a woman and two youths ? who carried travelling bags and bade farewell to fellow residents.

Around 2pm, while our correspondents were still interviewing residents, a series of gunshots rent the air, sending anxious residents scampering for safety.

On Jones Street, our correspondents counted 12 vehicles that had been vandalised, just as broken bottles littered the road.

A woman, who claimed her car was among those vandalised, said, “I was in tears yesterday when I saw what they did to my car: they broke the front and back windscreens. I was told I would need N50, 000 to repair the car.”

A resident said the government should deploy the military in the area as the police seemed overwhelmed.

A community leader said, “The problem is beyond the police because this fight has a political undertone. The military can control these ceaseless killings.”

The Deputy Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Lelma Kolle, while confirming the incident, said the police recovered four corpses.

He added that nine of the suspects had been arrested.

He said, “We received a distress call around 2pm that something was happening at the Ilogbo area.

“On getting the information, the Area Commander, together with police officers from Iponri Police Station, and officials from the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba, mobilised and went there.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Man Bags Nine Months For Assaulting Lagos Govt Official Who Arrested Him for Failing to Use a Pedestrian Bridge
Forum | 10 hours ago

Man Bags Nine Months For Assaulting Lagos Govt Official Who Arrested Him for Failing to Use a Pedestrian Bridge

Bandits Kill 23 Villagers In Kaduna
Forum | 14 hours ago

Bandits Kill 23 Villagers In Kaduna

Lagos Govt Arrests 25 Suspected Miscreants, Including Lebanese Squatting Under Bridges
Forum | 14 hours ago

Lagos Govt Arrests 25 Suspected Miscreants, Including Lebanese Squatting Under Bridges

Family Kicks, Accuses Lagos Hospital Of Negligence, Incompetence As Mother, Son Die During Childbirth
Forum | 2 days ago

Family Kicks, Accuses Lagos Hospital Of Negligence, Incompetence As Mother, Son Die During Childbirth