Barcelona v Man City is a clash of the favourites - Puyol

Forum 9 years ago

Barcelona v Man City is a clash of the favourites - Puyol

The former Camp Nou defender says potential Champions League winners are going out regardless of the result between the two sides in the last 16

Barcelona and Manchester City, who have been drawn against each other in the first knockout round of the Champions League, are two of the favourites to win the competition, according to Carles Puyol.

The two sides met each other at the same stage last term, with the Spanish side winning 4-1 on aggregate before crashing out at the quarter-final stage to eventual finalists Atletico Madrid.

The Catalan giants finished top of Group F, while Manchester City progressed as runners-up of Group E, scraping through with a 2-0 win over Roma in the last game of the first round.
[ads4]
Puyol feels the draw ensures that one of the strongest sides in the competition will be eliminated, but says he has faith that his former Barca team-mates will get the job done.

"There’s a long way to go to February and a lot of things can happen," he told AS. "We’ll have to wait until then, it’s going to be a clash between two of Europe’s biggest teams, two of the favourites.

"Patience and faith are needed. I have a lot of faith in my old team-mates, who are also my friends."

As well as discussing the draw, the World Cup winner talked about what he has learned off the pitch since retirement.

Puyol added: "Today we finished the sports management course and I’m really pleased to be learning and taking classes to see the other side of football.

"The truth is I’ve been very happy for many years doing what I like best. I’ve been lucky to be at the best club in the world and be able to win titles at Barcelona and with the Spanish side. I’m very happy."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’
Forum | 2 hours ago

The Invisible Man 2 Update Given by Elisabeth Moss: ‘I Feel Very Good About It’

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos
Forum | 13 hours ago

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 13 hours ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances
Forum | 14 hours ago

EPL: Arsenal, Man City must have bad moments – Klopp on Liverpool’s title chances