Nolan North Doesn’t Have a Cameo in Tom Holland’s Uncharted Movie

Forum 3 years ago

Nolan North Doesn’t Have a Cameo in Tom Holland’s Uncharted Movie

Nolan North, who plays Nathan Drake in the Uncharted video games, reveals he isn't a part of the upcoming movie adaptation. The popular series began in 2007 and follows Nate, a treasure hunter, on his many adventures. His mentor, Sully, and journalist and eventual wife, Elena, also play key roles. In addition to several games, Uncharted has led to comics and now the long awaited film adaptation. It will star Spider-Man actor Tom Holland as Nate and Mark Wahlberg as Sully. The move is currently set to release July 16, 2021 and is now in production.

Considering the immense popularity of the Uncharted games, some version of a film has been in the works since 2008. However, it's undergone a notoriously difficult development process, with several directors and writers on board at different times. The role of Nate has also been a hot topic of conversation. Nathan Fillion expressed interest in the part soon after development began, with fans rooting for him as well. However, that ultimately didn't come to pass. The Uncharted movie encountered an additional setback due to the coronavirus, with pre-production shut down in March. Luckily, filming on Uncharted has since begun, with set photos making their way online earlier this week.

With Holland's casting, the movie adaptation took a different direction than the games, which follow a significantly older Nate. In a recent interview with ComicBookMovie, North spoke about this change, while also revealing he hasn't been contacted by those working on the film, including for a cameo:

No, they haven't contacted me at all. Part of me is fine with it, and part of me is like, 'It'd be nice if you asked!' It's not a big deal. I'm actually looking forward to it, and I think people should look forward to it. Give them a chance. We've never seen Nathan Drake in his 20s and a Sully in his 40s. It could be interesting. I like the fact they're going to do a different spin on it and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do. I like Tom Holland, I like Mark Wahlberg, I enjoy their films, so let them put their spin on it. It's like asking Robert Downey Jr., 'What do you think about Nolan North doing a video game?' He's probably like, 'That's cool! I hope he does well and people enjoy it.' I'm the same way, just turn it around. I see things that are negative about it like, 'I don't like this casting,' but let them do something [with it].https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/5f7d20fef7af27dfabf324482dbd3248.jpg

North has shared his opinions on the Uncharted movie in the past, explaining he doesn't think it should be an exact adaptation of the games. He's also revealed Chris Pine was his original pick for Nate, though this became unlikely once the decision was made to depict a younger version of the character. Though it's disappointing to hear North isn't involved in the Uncharted film adaptation, it's clear he's keeping an open mind and wants fans to do the same.

Since Uncharted has been in development for so long, expectations for the movie are high. Though Holland's casting was unexpected, he's proven himself to be a versatile actor, winning audiences over with his work as Spider-Man, especially. He'll offer his own unique take on Nathan Drake that hopefully stands on its own, while also respecting North's beloved performance in the games. With any luck, both fans and North will enjoy the Uncharted film adaptation.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
The Big Cigar Trailer: André Holland Leads Apple TV+ Miniseries
Forum | 13 hours ago

The Big Cigar Trailer: André Holland Leads Apple TV+ Miniseries

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home
Forum | 2 days ago

Tom Holland Confirms Spider-Man 4 but Admits It’s Tough To Follow No Way Home

Tom Cruise Wanted to Play Rorschach in Zack Snyder’s Watchmen Movie
Forum | 6 days ago

Tom Cruise Wanted to Play Rorschach in Zack Snyder’s Watchmen Movie